Reporting to the Director of Operations, the Administrative Coordinator will triage and respond to sensitive inquiries from students, faculty, administrators, and family members regarding University resources and policies and procedures administered by Student Conduct and Community Standards (SCCS) in accordance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). The Administrative Coordinator will also provide administrative and operational support for SCCS leadership with the administration of the Dean???s Discipline process and the Gender-based Misconduct Policy and Procedures for Students.
Responsibilities1. Serves as the primary point of contact for students during a disciplinary process. Responsible for conducting intakes and file reviews. Responds to students, faculty, administrators and family members regarding inquiries or other correspondence. Prepares correspondence and other case-related materials associated with student-conduct actions. Manages and distributes Access Restriction and Persona Non Grata notifications to partner officer. Responds to student disciplinary record requests and completes background checks while staying in compliance with FERPA and departmental guidelines.
2. Calendars and arranges travel for SCCS leadership. Ensures staff is prepared for upcoming meetings by providing meeting materials and agendas. Maintains accurate electronic and paper filing system. Resolves all facilities and technology issues. Creates edits and maintains SCCS website, intranet, policies and procedures. Manages office software and technology (including Maxient (Columbia University???s student conduct database system), Zoom and TurnItIn.
3. Routinely generates and analyzes various reports including incident reports, case records and other sensitive data. Determines policy violations in accordance to federal, state and institutional guidelines. Participates in student conduct hearings or other disciplinary matters as a co-hearing officer or to record minutes.
4. Processes invoices, employee reimbursements and reconciles the SCCS operational budget. Creates requisitions and purchase orders in compliance with University and departmental guidelines.
5. Manages timely progress and assists in the implementation of projects or initiatives overseen by self or the Directors, including programs, staff training and development, systems implementation, and community events programming.
6. Additional duties as assigned.
A bachelor's degree and/or its equivalent and a minimum of two years in related administrative experience in a university or other complex organization is required.
The incumbent must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and should have experience and knowledge in drafting legal documents, interpersonal communications, customer service, dealing with ambiguity, program planning, and other organizational skills.
The incumbent must display resourcefulness, discretion, attention to detail, flexibility and the ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks.
Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google for Education, Adobe Creative Cloud (Acrobat, Dreamweaver, Illustrator, etc), and other publishing or database software is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Internal Number: 514693
About Columbia University
Columbia University is one of the world's most important centers of research and at the same time a distinctive and distinguished learning environment for undergraduates and graduate students in many scholarly and professional fields. The University recognizes the importance of its location in New York City and seeks to link its research and teaching to the vast resources of a great metropolis. It seeks to attract a diverse and international faculty and student body, to support research and teaching on global issues, and to create academic relationships with many countries and regions. It expects all areas of the university to advance knowledge and learning at the highest level and to convey the products of its efforts to the world.